Main Menu Button

Permitted development Rights

15th November 2023

By James Jones

Permitted development Rights

Permitted development rights are a parliamentary ruling put in place to govern types of property conversions and expansions within the property industry. They originate from the “Town and Country Planning Order 2015,” also known as the General Permitted Development Order (GPDO). They were initially announced in 2013 and the government enforced the ruling in 2015.

Depending on the work that needs to be done, you may need to consider the type of finance you require. You only need a light refurbishment bridging loan to cover smaller jobs like installing a new kitchen and/or bathroom, general redecoration or renovations to an older building. 

Permitted development bridging loan products allow you to obtain funds quickly for refurbishment and development purposes. They cover more extensive work such as extensions and certain installations. Once work is complete, it should hopefully add a sizable amount onto the properties value. Also, there is the potential benefit of higher rental income for those with buy-to-let and houses in multiple occupation (HMO) properties. 

Designated Areas

In some parts of the country, there are what’s known as “designated areas.” These areas restrict permitted development if you reside within:

  • Conservation areas
  • World heritage sights
  • Norfolk or Suffolk Broads
  • Areas of natural beauty
  • National parks

Living in designated areas may require you to obtain planning permission for developments that you may not need outside of these areas. In some instances, local planning authorities could remove some of your permitted development rights. Also known as an Article 4 direction, they’re most common in conservation areas. Therefore, you will have to apply for planning permission for work that may not have required permission elsewhere. 

Prior Approval

There is a possibility that you will need prior approval for permitted development on a property. For certain permitted projects, you may need to consult with your local planning authority to see if any prior approval is required. Firstly, you will need to establish the eligibility of your You may need to apply for prior approval for:

  • Electronic communications networks
  • Demolition
  • Agriculture and forestry

Permitted development projects

On a residential property, there are plenty of permitted developments you can carry out without the need for planning consent. These include:

Standard loft conversions 

The loft conversion must not overhang the outer walls of the property. For terraced houses you are allowed 40 cubic metres of space. Detached and semi-detached houses have 50 cubic metres.

Single story extension, two-storey rear extension and side extension

Firstly, a single story extension should be built at the rear of the property. If the property is a terraced house, the extension cannot surpass 3 metres past the rear wall. Providing it is detached, you are allowed upto 4 metres extension. In addition, the extension can be no higher than 4 metres tall. Or 3 metres if the boundary is less than 2 metres away. Furthermore, the extension has to take up under 50% of the land within the properties boundaries. The building material used must closely resemble the properties original material. Finally, any eaves or ridges cannot be any taller than the property.

Secondly, side extensions must be under 4 metres in height. Side extensions cannot be more than half the width of the house at its widest point. Finally, a two-storey rear extension must not go beyond 3 metres of the rear wall. Also, they cannot surpass 4 metres in height. A two-storey rear extension be contained within 7 metres of the properties boundaries. (10.5 metres in Wales and 10 metres in Scotland). Certain home extensions may require prior approval from local planning authority beforehand. You will not be able to start work without prior approval if it is needed.

Garden room, sheds and raised decking

For a garden room, the build must not take up more than 50% of the garden space. Plus, it can be no bigger than 30 square metres or in some instances, only 15 square metres. You may also need to check if you intend to use the space for more than just an office or gym. There is also a possibility you may need to apply for prior approval with your local planning authority.

You shouldn’t have to worry about building a shed as long as the floor area of the shed is under 15 metres. It is always wise to check the local authorities to see whether plans need to be drawn up and sent in.

If you want to install some raised decking in your rear garden, the decking needs to be less than 30 centimetres off the ground. In addition, the decking cannot cover more than 50% of the garden space.

Replacing windows and doors

If you are repairing, maintaining or slightly improving the windows with paint, you will not have to worry about planning consent. In addition, you will not have to worry about installing internal secondary glazing either. Permitted development may not allow for the installation of bay windows as they are classed as an extension. However, installation of similar windows and doors are usually fine.

Reconfiguring floor plan

Permitted development rights will allow you to alter the floor plan without needing permission. However, the floor plan cannot be extended under permitted development. You will need planning consent for that.

Solar panel installation

The fitting of solar panels to a property for the most part is allowed under permitted development rights. However, certain buildings may not allow the installation of solar panels as they could be historic or there is no space for them.

Wall and fence boundaries

You can fit, or alter any fence or wall as long as it’s within your boundary. The wall or fence cannot be over 1 metre high. If you are planning on anything higher than that or if your building is listed, you will need planning consent.

Building a porch

As long as the porch is under 3 square metres and is less than 3 metres high, you should be ok. Also, the porch should also be within 2 metres of the house boundaries or highway. If you have plans to install a porch and remove the house’s original front door, you may need planning permission for that.


A conservatory under permitted development cannot cover more than 50% of the land around the property. Plus, the conservatory can not be higher than the property at its highest point. Also, if your property is single storey, the conservatory cannot surpass 4 metres.

Basement conversions

If your property has a basement, you can convert it. As long as no changes to the external structure are made, you are not planning on excavating it or using it as additional accommodation you can start work without planning permission.

Skylight windows

When installing a skylight window under permitted development rights, it must not protrude 150 millimetres out of the slope of the roof. They can’t be higher than the highest part of the roof. Also, if a skylight is fitted on a side roof slope, the windows must be obscured so visibility from the outside to inside is reduced. In addition, it must either be non-opening or at least 1.7 metres high.

In conclusion, combining permitted development rights with bridging finance should allow you to carry out the work you wish to carry out a lot sooner than other options. All because you can get funds from bridging finance within days of a successful application. As a result you can quickly add value to your property. Remember, before you do any work on your property, it’s always wise to check with your local authority to see if you need planning permission. This could save you a lot of time and money in the long run.

If permitted development finance interests you, please get in touch with one of our experts. Here at Promise money we will explore the whole-of-market for the best possible deal.

    Find a development loan

    Enter some details and we’ll compare thousands of loan plans – this will NOT affect your credit rating.

    How much you would like to borrow?


    Type in the box for larger amounts

    For how long?


    Use the slider or type into the box

    Do you own property in the UK?

    About you...

    Your name:

    Your forename:

    Your surname:

    Your email address:

    Your phone number:


    By submitting any information to us, you are confirming you have read and understood the Data Protection & Privacy Policy.

    Promise Money is a broker not a lender. Therefore we offer lenders representing the whole of market for mortgages, secured loans, bridging finance, commercial mortgages and development finance. These loans are secured on property and subject to the borrowers status.

    More than 50% of borrowers receive offers better than our representative examples

    The %APR rate you will be offered is dependent on your personal circumstances.

    Mortgages and Remortgages

    Representative example

    Borrow £270,000 over 300 months at 7.1% APRC representative at a fixed rate of 4.79% for 60 months at £1,539.39 per month and thereafter 240 instalments of £2050.55 at 8.49% or the lender’s current variable rate at the time. The total charge for credit is £317,807.66 which includes £2,500 advice / processing fees and £125 application fee. Total repayable £587,807.66

    Secured / Second Charge Loans

    Representative example

    Borrow £62,000 over 180 months at 9.9% APRC representative at a fixed rate of 7.85% for 60 months at £622.09 per month and thereafter 120 instalments of £667.54 at 9.49% or the lender’s current variable rate at the time. The total charge for credit is £55,730.20 which includes £2,660 advice / processing fees and £125 application fee. Total repayable £117,730.20

    Unsecured Loans

    Representative example

    Annual Interest Rate (fixed) is 49.7% p.a. with a Representative 49.7% APR, based on borrowing £5,000 and repaying this over 36 monthly repayments. Monthly repayment is £243.57 with a total amount repayable of £8,768.52 which includes the total interest repayable of £3,768.52.



    Promise Money is a trading style of Promise Solutions Ltd – Company number 04822774
    Promise Solutions, Fullard House, Neachells Lane, Wolverhampton, WV11 3QG

    Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority – Number 681423
    The Financial Conduct Authority does not regulate some forms of commercial / buy-to-let mortgages